The focal point of the Festival is the magnificent Carlisle Bay, located on the south west coast a stones throw from the capital city of Bridgetown and close to many south coast hotels. Swimmers rave about the Bay; here is one of the many we have received over the years: “Think pinch yourself perfect conditions. Crystal clear waters, sandy seabed studded with starfish, dazzling groups of tropical fish darting around in front of us and at least half a dozen turtles looking up from below, bemused by our ungainly thrashing about in comparison to their effortless grace. Back on dry land, the morning’s racing was quickly giving way to a full-on Caribbean beach party and we were given a warm, genuine welcome – as long as one didn’t mind too much the locals bragging about how they get to swim the same bay every weekend. Thanks for a truly unforgettable day.” British Swimmer.
Five days of swimming available, swim one or swim all five. Three days of practice swims (2K) with highly social dinners afterwards and two days of friendly competition (1.5K, 1.5K Just for Fun, 3.3K, 5K, 10K). The Fun race supports the Variety Club of Barbados (Children's Charity) Beach finish for all races. Finisher Medals and Winner Medals for multiple age groups. Refreshment provided on finish line (there is a feeding boat for 10K swimmers). Home base is Copacabana Beach Bar, all races start and end in front of Bar and food and drink is on sale all weekend. See some of the 2018 photos here.
After the swimming leave time to explore the island and its amazing attractions. There is a plethora of possibilities, here is a taste:
- Visit the rustic east coast & soak up the scenery or enjoy an authentic local beach house experience at Bath Beach House.
- Make your way to the Animal Flower Cave located in the scenic cliffs of the northern tip of the island.
- Relax on a Catamaran cruise with lunch and snorkelling
- Explore the underground caverns of Harrisons Cave or the underwater world with Atlantis Submarines.
- Explore the trails with EBIKE Island Adventures or stroll around exquisite tropical gardens like Andromeda or Hunte's Gardens.
- Wander around Bridgetown, part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site, check out the parliament buildings, the Synagogue, the Cathedral, the Screw Dock and many others.
- Learn about the art of Rum making and the island's long association with Rum.
- Visit one of the numerous historic buildings: Nicholas Abbey, Morgan Lewis Mill, George Washington House, Sunbury House are just a few.
- Have a look at the house where Rihanna grew up!
- Take a "behind the scenes" off road tour with Island Safari
- Pick up unique island souvenirs from Best of Barbados, a chain of family-owned gift shops!
"No other Caribbean country can match Barbados for the choice and quality of places to eat out." Fred Mawer, a destination expert with the UK Telegraph.
We agree with him. Something for every pocket and every palate. From fast food at Chefette to fine dining by the sea, pictured below is the Lone Star Restaurant on west coast of island. See some of our recommended places HERE
Have a look at our Partner Hotels for preferred rates, be sure to use the code when booking!
Rent a Car
Need a rental car while on island - check out the special rates for swimmers from ANSA Rentals. Tell them you are coming for Festival!
More info about Barbados, check out these sites
www.myguidebarbados.com www.totallybarbados.com www.visitbarbados.org
Leave the wetsuit at home and prepare for five days of "Fun and Fabulous" !
BTMI, TDC, Chefette Restaurants, Vorgee, BHTA, CGM Gallagher, Ernst & Young, ANSA Rentals, Powerade and Dasani.